5 Startups That Will Change Your Driving Experience in 2017
Not everyone can afford an $80,000 luxury car. Thankfully, we’re not living in the early 2000’s and aftermarket vehicle technology has finally caught up to OEM vehicle tech and as is the case in the 5 items listed in this article, surpassed it.
- The Hudly head-up display promises to make every driving experience thrilling. Showing your speed, key vehicle diagnostic information, and mirroring your phone screen on their head-up display (HUD) can make even a 2002 Honda Accord feel futuristic. My first experience with a HUD came from the cockpit of a BMW but it lacked access to my usual driving aids. I liked being able to use Waze for GPS and get my notifications on the Hudly display. Hudly’s tag line, “Where will Hudly take you?” really rings true when you’re on a road trip. With your information displayed on your windshield, you’ll get to see more of the road and beautiful sights. Hudly launched at the beginning of this year and can be ordered for $299 through their website.
- ZUS Smart Tire Safety Monitor keeps your tire pressure in check and can even identify whether or not your tires are slowly leaking air. Many modern cars are equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) but they won’t actually give you feedback on what’s causing the loss of pressure. From a study done by NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration), 1 in 4 cars have an underinflated tire which could increase your risk of an accident by 3 times! If you don’t have a TPMS, an investment in one could pay for itself as underinflated tires can also affect fuel consumption.The ZUS launched a successful Kickstarter campaign and is set to launch in August of this year.
- Universal Plug In Hybrid Range Extender by Brendan Cooke, owner of a successful performance shop, decided it was high time that every internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle had a hybrid drivetrain. His easy-install electric battery pack gives every car a minimum increase in fuel economy of 28% and a definitive boost in power to boot. The Hybrid Range Extender is set for testing in August and launches in Q3 of 2017.
- Dashbot turns any car into a powerful AI, even allowing you to use Amazon Alexa while you’re driving to control your phone, music, maps and more. Tired of trying to get Siri or OK Google to work while you’re driving? Don’t sweat it! The Dashbot is built for the road and its microphone is perfect for picking up and deciphering your voice in all road conditions. It’s set to launch this month, July 2017 and was a raving success on Kickstarter from a company with a fantastic track record of delivering amazing products.
- Traptap serves a dual purpose: alerting drivers to upcoming traffic, school zones, and other road hazards, and letting you know if there is a speedtrap or police officer using a radar detector ahead. The Tratap is a small, circular, button that sticks to your vehicle’s interior in a location of your choosing and syncs up to your phone via bluetooth. Simply press the Traptap and it will alert other drivers in the area to an upcoming police officer or road hazard. Traptap is available for purchase now.
These 5 items will absolutely change your driving experience in 2017. The biggest upgrade to your vehicle is hands down the Hudly head-up display though. The versatility of the HUD alongside the ability to see key information about your vehicle projected in front of you is a game changer for every driving experience.